Governance without Government: Funding + Implementing Smart City Policies Amid Fiscal Constraint
With federal dollars at a trickle and state and local funding drying up or unattainable, how do cities innovate and implement new policies that improve the lives of their residents? How have civic groups stepped up to fill the gap of government in ailing cities? How have new public private partnerships formed to solve intractable urban financing challenges such as transit and smart city infrastructure? How has the role of the foundation changed and how is it projected to change in the next 30 years?
- Moderator: Chris Dorle, Strong Cities and Strong Communities Fellow, Detroit Future City
- Jennifer Bradley, Fellow and Senior Advisor, Brookings Metropolitan Policy Program
- Wendy Lewis Jackson, Deputy Director, The Kresge Foundation
- Garlin Gilchrest II, Deputy CIO for Technology and Community Engagement, City of Detroit Mayor’s Office
- Jessica Robinson, Market Launch Managaer, Zipar